Monday, July 21, 2008

All a Twitter: Want to Try Microblogging?

Want to try microblogging, but don’t know how to get started? Read on.

By Ellyssa Kroski -- School Library Journal, 7/1/2008

While sitting before a presentation at a recent library conference, I was able to broadcast my whereabouts, my mood, and my desire to connect with friends for dinner to over 150 conference attendees simultaneously, using my mobile phone. I managed this feat of hyper-connectivity through a service called Twitter, which enables social butterflies like myself to instantly publish brief messages to a network of contacts.

Although not quite as substantive as reporting the May earthquake in China before any of the major news services, as did blogger Robert Scoble and other “Twitterati,” my use of the service is just one of many ways in which people are discovering the benefits of Twitter. In an especially dramatic example, a graduate journalism student at UC Berkeley was arrested in April while photographing a public demonstration in Egypt. As he was taken into custody, the student managed to twitter one word: “arrested.” His network of followers contacted the U.S. embassy and the university, resulting in his release the following day...


http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6573999.html